Sunday, February 21, 2016

Motivate Your Son

So, I finished this little book in about a day.
I paid $2.10 for it. I got my money’s worth. I guess.
The parenting books I’ve read lately all have a similar theme. That makes sense when I think about it. At some point I read a book that was very different from the Christian based be-God-in-your-house type books and I fell in love with the ideas that were so different from what I’d always heard, and so I sought out books that there similar in nature.
The general idea is to allow your child to make as many decisions himself as you can. Your job as a parent is one of mentor or coach. You give your opinions, provide support, and give your guidance. You do all this while avoiding all the roadblocks to communication and building a good relationship between parent and child. You are trying to mold your child into an honest to God good person. You want your child to do the right thing when no one is watching. You want him to do well because he is internally motivated to do well.
I’ve found it’s extremely hard to motivate my oldest son. I know I keep trying the same old things and they are not working. I thought this book sounded like exactly what I needed. New ideas to try.
I know I like to write these book reviews. I don’t know if it’s actually so much of a review as a way to record my thoughts on all these books I read and sort out my thoughts and feelings on what I’ve learned. And then maybe one day success stories on what actually worked. 
I usually read a few reviews before a buy a new book. One of the reviews I read for this book bashed it for seeming to promote Daryle Capuano’s program The Learning Consultants. I admit I was a bit tainted by that review. He does talk about his business A LOT. I couldn’t help but feeling that he was holding back information. I got the feeling that if I somehow paid for an expensive program I would get the whole picture. But in his defense The Learning Consultants logo is right there on the front cover. I don’t think he’s hiding his agenda. And his website does offer free advice
That being said Motivate Your Son earned a lot of highlighting. There are a lot of little nuggets of viable sounding ideas, and simple truths. Truth: Our schools are failing our boys. Lightbulb moment for me: I am the Chief Education Officer for my kids. (Oh, great! Another title to add to my collection)
He puts boys into different generic categories. I think my oldest boy is an Adventure Boy- he doesn’t want to do anything that is boring, or a Boss Boy- he doesn’t want to do anything he’s told to do. (This was another reason I finished this book so quickly. I skipped the chapters that were obviously not my boys.) 
From what I gathered, the solution is to motivate boys with a vision of the future they will actually enjoy. Delayed gratification. It’s hard for everyone, I think. Some people find it easier to wait than others.
I’m glad I started writing down my thoughts on all these books I’ve been reading. Immediately after reading some of these books I get discouraged. “That book didn’t have THE answer.” But actually having to write out what I learned from the book makes me think. I know there isn’t actually a ONE answer out there. All kids, all people, are different. I have to find what will work with our individual family, and my individual kids. Even the books I’ve read that I immediately felt were a waste of time have taught me something. Sometimes that means what NOT to do, but it has all been worth my time.

Another thing this book led me to was the Enneagram test. I had never heard of it before. Here’s a free version if you want to try it:
I wasn’t shocked to find that I scored “very unhealthy.”
If I’ve learned anything from all my parenting books it’s

1)   You have to change yourself if you want to change your kid
2)   Unhealthy parents teach unhealthy habits
3)   Raising children means raising myself
That all sounds like a post for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment